Vinyl Boxset 6×LP$249.99Read More
- 6-LP box set containing original studio albums from 1957 - 1965
- Remastered directly and lacquers cut from the original analog tapes by Kevin Gray
- Manufactured at Pallas on 180gm vinyl and housed in reverse-board deluxe sleeves
- Extensive book with foreword from Brandee Younger, comprehensive liner notes by Shannon J. Effinger and previously unseen photographs and ephemera
- Housed inside book-shelf style slipcase with silver-foil detail
- Limited to 1,000 copies Worldwide
“Imagine having been a Black female artist & innovator in the ‘60s. Imagine being a jazz musician with a focus on the concert harp. Oh, to be alive at that time...in music...in culture...in politics. This was Dorothy Ashby, and she was so much more than her musical output. She was a true visionary; her impact is still heard in many genres and eras of music, even today” - Brandee Younger
New Land are proud to present the first multi-disc box set from one of the most overlooked artists in Jazz history: Dorothy Ashby. The 6 LPs contained within this lavish box-set will give long overdue retrospection to her early works from 1957 to 1965, a period that found her represented by some of Jazz music’s most important record labels; Regent, Prestige, Jazzland, Argo and Atlantic. The Jazz Harpist, Hip Harp w/ Frank Wess, In A Minor Groove w/ Frank Wess, Soft Winds: The Swinging Harp Of Dorothy Ashby, Dorothy Ashby and The Fantastic Harp Of Dorothy Ashby have been officially licensed with the full support of the Dorothy Ashby estate.
All albums were remastered and lacquers cut by the exceptional Kevin Gray directly from the original analog tapes except The Jazz Harpist and Dorothy Ashby from which the original tapes have unfortunately been lost. Manufacturing has been handled by Pallas and all albums have been pressed on 180gm black vinyl and housed inside thick reverse-board sleeves.
At the centre of this package is a 44-page book featuring a foreword from Grammy nominated harpist Brandee Younger. Impassioned and deeply researched liner notes by Shannon J. Effinger provide historical context to Dorothy’s life, offering the most in-depth piece of writing ever committed to print on Dorothy as well as interviews with those that knew her best.
Housed inside a deluxe book-shelf style box with stunning silver-foil detail.
This is a one-time pressing limited to 1,000 copies worldwide.
- 1 The Jazz Harpist (1957)
- 2 Hip Harp w/ Frank Wess (1958)
- 3 In A Minor Groove w/ Frank Wess (1958)
- 4 Soft Winds: The Swinging Harp Of Dorothy Ashby (1961)
- 5 Dorothy Ashby (1962)
- 6 The Fantastic Harp Of Dorothy Ashby (1965)