Vinyl Boxset 4×LPPre-order $154.99
4LP Box w/ 44 page BookRead More
- Available officially in conjunction with Mingus Estate
- Original reel-to-reel tapes, cleaned and mastered giving these recordings optimum sound quality
- Four 180gm LPs housed in book-case style box
- Extensive 44-page book with foreword from Christian McBride, in-depth liner notes by Brian Priestley, interview with Charles McPherson and rare photographs and ephemera
- Strictly limited edition
Estimated release date: January 5, 2024
“These recordings capture a window of time in the life of a jazz legend who was arguably at his creative peak” - Christian McBride
Mingus Takes Manhattan collects together Charles Mingus’ run of dates at the world famous Birdland, New York from 1961 - 1962, released here officially for the first time ever in conjunction with the Mingus Estate.
The original reel-to-reel tapes used to record the radio broadcasts were tracked down, cleaned and remastered especially for these recordings. Previously only issued in bootleg form, the recordings enclosed feature Mingus in the midst of a highly creative spell. Alternating between bass and piano during these sets and featuring a rotating band of heavy hitters including Yusef Lateef, Roland Kirk, Jaki Byard, Booker Ervin, Pepper Adams as well as Mingus mainstays Charles McPherson, Dannie Richmond and many more.
Located in a basement in the Bronx, the original reel-to-reel tapes have been cleaned and remastered, giving these incredibly rare recordings the best sonic outing since 1962. At the centre of this package is a 44-page book with a foreword from Christian McBride, an incredible 15,000 word essay from Brian Priestley as well as a new interview with Charles McPherson, giving context and inside information to the dates and the time. All of this is illustrated with slick design by Two To Tango and rare photographs and ephemera throughout.
Hot on the heels of the critically lauded Dorothy Ashby 6-LP box set, and a string of releases featuring Gerry Mulligan, Blue Mitchell, Howard McGhee and Charles Mingus. New Land returns with another vital box set.
Strictly Limited Edition
- 1 21st October 1961 - 24th March 1962 - Nouroog; Ecclusiastics; Hog Callin` Blues; Take The ‘A’ Train; Fables Of Faubus ; Eat That Chicken
- 2 31st March 1962 - 5th May 1962 - Monk, Funk Or Vice Versa; Oh Lord, Don’t Let Them...; Eat That Chicken; Reets and I
- 3 5th May 1962 - 12th May 1962 - Monk, Funk or Vice Versa; Devil Woman; Eat That Chicken; Introduction by Symphony Syd; Peggy’s Blue Skylight ; Tijuana Table Dance (aka Ysabel’s Table Dance); Eat That Chicken
- 4 19th October 1962 - 26th October 1962 - The Search (I Can't Get Started); Monk, Funk or Vice Versa; Please Don't Come Back From The Moon; Eat That Chicken; Monk, Funk or Vice Versa; O.P.; The Search (I Can't Get Started)